Womhoops Guru

Mel Greenberg covered college and professional women’s basketball for the Philadelphia Inquirer, where he worked for 40 plus years. Greenberg pioneered national coverage of the game, including the original Top 25 women's college poll. His knowledge has earned him nicknames such as "The Guru" and "The Godfather," as well as induction into the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame in 2007.

Monday, October 18, 2021

An Appreciation of the WNBA Champion Chicago Sky’s Candace Parker

By ROB KNOX

@knoxrob1

 

As time ticked away late Sunday afternoon securing the Chicago Sky’s first WNBA championship in franchise history, Candace Nicole Parker, ball in her hands dribbling and then safely tucked under her arms, floated to her parents and daughter in the crowd. 

 

A sweat-soaked Parker, with tears in her eyes, embraced everybody in the biggest bear hug possible, squeezing them as if her life depended on it while confetti rained down from the rafters of a roaring Wintrust Arena following the Sky’s thrilling 80-74 come-from-behind victory over the Phoenix Mercury in Game Four of the WNBA Finals to take the series 3-1. 

 

Parker is a WNBA champion for the second time in her career.


 She triumphantly reached the apex at home in front of those that formed the foundation of her excellence. Her high school basketball coach was there. Mom. Dad. Relatives.

 

Parker is from nearby Naperville, Illinois, where she became a national sensation who somehow exceeded every expectation to become one of the all-time greats on and off the court.

 

“It was amazing to just hug my dad and my mom and my family,” Parker said. “It was just an amazing feeling to be from here and see so many people in the stands that have been supporting you since you started. 


“I sent Allie (Quigley) a picture this morning of us when we were in high school, and it was like, man, not bad for two suburban kids, right, playing in the WNBA Finals together?”

 

Parker scored 16 points, grabbed 13 rebounds, and handed out five assists.


.It’s always great when one of the best and most versatile players on the planet gets rewarded for her elegant grace, hard work, positivity, advancing the legacy of women’s basketball, and unrelenting passion. 

 

The timeless trinity of family, faith, and resilience has fueled Parker during her distinguished career.


 She had a decision to make prior to this summer as a free agent: return to Los Angeles, where she spent the first 13 years of her career, or explore her options. 

 

She chose to sign with Chicago, her hometown franchise, living by faith that she and her teammates could reach the mountaintop during a season when Las Vegas, Seattle, Connecticut, and Phoenix opened as favorites. 

 

Part of playing for Chicago is Parker would be near her family, which was a huge factor for her.


 However, there was one more major approval that was needed for Parker to fully sign with Chicago: Her daughter, Lailaa.

 

“I owe everything I am to her, just because she's been my motivation and my reason for everything,” Parker said.


 “You know what's crazy, I have a picture of Lailaa in Minnesota when we first won, and it was in a similar fashion where it was like, we didn't know who was going to win, it was dramatic, and she's like yelling, "Mom, we did it!" And I have that picture on my wall in the office. 

 

“Before I decided to come here, which has been like -- it's tough, we're away from each other. We started the season for a month; we're never away from each other. 


“So, I asked her if it was okay if I came to Chicago, and she was like, I want another picture. Like I want another picture like that.


“And it's crazy because she came out to the court and said, "we did it," and it was just, surreal.

 

“We've gone through this together. You know? Like she sacrifices for her mom so that I can live my dream.


“ I just am so thankful for her, that she's here for the big moments, but she's also here when I don't want to get up and go work out, she sees those moments.”

 

Parker has been an under-appreciated treasure of excellence during her career. 


She won her first WNBA title in 2016 against Maya Moore and the Minnesota Lynx on the road. Her second was accomplished against Diana Taurasi and the Phoenix Mercury. 

 

Parker’s WNBA career has been paved with heartbreak, potholes, bumps, and injuries. 

 

She never lost faith. 

 

Not easy and nothing was given.

 

“So, I think it's just a moment where you just have to take it in, so that's what that was,” Parker said. “You know, I think we live in a result-driven world, which is great, because I think the champions obviously -- when you have MJ, who everybody in Chicagoland aspires to be like him, six rings, but I just feel like sometimes it's like the tough ones that stay the course, you know?”

 

Sometimes, the work when no one is looking is the most memorable part of the journey. Parker transformed each perceived obstacle and difficult defeat into an opportunity.

 

Blending a combination of beauty and athletic prowess, the 35-year-old Parker has been a perfect ambassador for the WNBA as well as a terrific role model for youngsters and working mothers. 

 

Parker is a portrait of self-discipline, humility, perseverance, and will. 


With a relentless drive to always improve herself on the floor, Parker has used that same determination to create spaces in board rooms for women, which may be her most admirable quality. 

 

She has used her platform and status to uplift and empower others. She has spoken on panels and challenged men to make sure they have a chair or two for women at every table in rooms where critical decisions are made.

 

Those are reasons why we celebrate with and for Parker because she deserves this moment. 

 

“I think the heartbreaks hurt, but this one is so sweet,” Parker said. “Like to do it with this group, I love this group, I love this team, and to do it here at home, it's just like, all of those heartbreaks, it was just supposed to be today. 


“Like I had flashbacks from high school when I first realized we won the state championship, and it was kind of like similar, I don't know.”

 

Parker also had tremendous motivation from her late college coach, Pat Summit, as well as the late Kobe Bryant and his daughter Gigi. 

 

“I think Kobe and Gigi have meant so much to our league, so the advice I got from Vanessa (Bryant) before the game was play Gigi's way, and I think we've done that,” Parker said. 


“We've done that all Playoffs, so I want to acknowledge his contribution. And Vanessa said, ‘if Gigi could play, she would play as hard as she could.’ So, I think that was huge in our team and just us overcoming everything that came together. So, thank you, Vanessa. We love you, Gigi. We love you, Kobe.” 

 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home