Womhoops Guru

Mel Greenberg covered college and professional women’s basketball for the Philadelphia Inquirer, where he worked for 40 plus years. Greenberg pioneered national coverage of the game, including the original Top 25 women's college poll. His knowledge has earned him nicknames such as "The Guru" and "The Godfather," as well as induction into the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame in 2007.

Sunday, May 02, 2021

Guru’s WNBA Report: Washington Brightened by Cloud’s Return

By ROB KNOX (@knoxrob1)

 

The last time Natasha Cloud appeared on a basketball court, she exited as a champion after helping the Washington Mystics win the 2019 WNBA title.

 

A year after taking the season off to focus on social justice work, Cloud is returning to her sneaker-squeaking sanctuary with a new title.

 

“I stepped into being a queen,” Cloud said during the recent Mystics media day. “Not trying to be funny, but when I encounter people now, it’s hey king and hey queen. I feel like I embrace that in every facet of my life. Being strong and relentless in understanding who I was and what I am about.”

 

Royalty fits Cloud like a tiara. 

 

What Cloud has been about since that celebratory October night is solutions, impact, and change. 


Her selfless work in the Washington, D.C. area last year as the WNBA completed its unique 2020 season against the backdrop of increased social justice awareness in the “wubble” in Orlando was transformative, inspirational, and awesome. 

 

Cloud was on the front lines using her platform and voice to make a difference. 


She knew she had a responsibility to her community and for those who look up to her as well as those coming behind her. 

 

The work has never stopped for Cloud, Saint Joseph’s graduate out of  Broomall, Pa., in the western Philly Burbs,

 

“What’s different (this year) is I laid all my groundwork this past summer,” Cloud said. “I have everything implemented that I need to have.


“ I have my grassroots organizations. I have the different players that I teamed up with and everything is fully functioning, so it makes my job easier of being a champion on the court and a champion off the court. 


“So, I can give 100 percent at practice and 100 percent with what I already laid down over the groundwork this past summer.” 

 

During the media session, Cloud was relaxed. She made reporters blush and laugh. 


Cloud also showcased her tremendous personality as she had a personal connection with each reporter who asked a question.


 She was happy to see the gaggle of familiar faces as she prepared for her first full WNBA season since 2019.

 

“It wasn’t easy what I did this summer especially during the traumatic time of being Black in America,” Cloud said. “It was about understanding what was going on in the country at the time was much bigger than me, much bigger than this game of basketball and be much more than just being a point guard for the Mystics.”

 

During her time in the league, Cloud’s willingness to speak out against racial injustice along with her advocacy for gun violence reform in the nation’s capital, as well as for the rights of women and the LGBTQ+ community has set her apart as one of this century’s most influential and powerful people. 


Forget athlete. She’s an elite human.

 

That has translated into the same spirit in which she interacts with her teammates and provides encouragement to them. 

 

While the Mystics have undergone an America’s Next Top Model-like makeover since Cloud last played in 2019, they still have the pieces to be formidable this upcoming season and challenge for the WNBA crown.

 

Cloud will have a full season to play with WNBA legends Tina Charles and Elena Delle Donne along with the improving and talented young core of Ariel Atkins, Myisha Hines-Allen, Stella Johnson, and Kiara Leslie. Expectations are high in the nation’s capital especially since veterans Leilani Mitchell, Shavonte Zellous, and Theresa Plaisance are around. 


In addition, Rider’s Stella Johnson, who made a spectacular rookie debut in mid-summer before getting hurt, is fully recovered. 


Coach Mike Thibault has jokingly referred to her as this season’s draft pick since the Mystics didn’t own one in last month’s selections.

 

“We still have our core and players who are the best in the league and while I have to be 1 percent better, I don’t feel the need to carry the team on my shoulders because we have players who can step up,” Cloud said. “I am excited to come back. I’ve been an underdog my entire life.

 

“Even winning a championship and leading this organization to a championship, I don’t get the respect I deserve. I think Steph Curry said it best ‘I don’t have anything to prove to anyone else, but I have a lot I still want to accomplish.”

 

The queen has spoken.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home