Womhoops Guru

Mel Greenberg covered college and professional women’s basketball for the Philadelphia Inquirer, where he worked for 40 plus years. Greenberg pioneered national coverage of the game, including the original Top 25 women's college poll. His knowledge has earned him nicknames such as "The Guru" and "The Godfather," as well as induction into the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame in 2007.

Saturday, July 11, 2020

Guru’s WNBA Report: Being a Social Justice Advocate Nothing New For Mystics’ Essence Carson

By ROB KNOX

(@knoxrob1)

 

Essence Carson concluded her eloquent three minute, 22-second response to a question about her decision to play this season in the WNBA bubble with a powerful declaration.

 

“The bubble won’t silence me,” said Carson, sporting her trademark googles above her head and over her red headband, during a Zoom call with media members following the Washington Mystics practice at IMG Academy Saturday morning from Bradenton, Fla.

 

Carson, who signed with the Mystics this season after playing last year for the Phoenix Mercury, has been one of the WNBA’s most prominent and influential activists during her career. 

 

The 2011 WNBA All-Star has used her prestigious platform to bring attention to social justice issues, lead youth basketball clinics, raise funds for LGBTQ and drug-prevention organizations. 

 

She’s been speaking up for years. 

 

Everybody remembers Don Imus’ 2007 disgusting and unprovoked attack on the Rutgers women’s basketball team.

 

Representing the Scarlet Knights, Carson spoke with maturity and poise when addressing the inappropriate comments with the media. 

 

“What I like to tell people is I’ve been Black all my life so the experience isn’t anything that’s new to me,” Carson said. “Speaking up for myself and for my family is nothing new. 

 

“It’s been a daily thing for me for a long time even dating back to when I was 19 or 20 years old at Rutgers and Don Imus.”

 

Against the tumultuous backdrop of a global pandemic and fury over the deaths of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Rayshard Brooks, and Breonna Taylor, the WNBA is dedicating the season to social justice. 

 

In addition to creating the WNBA/WNBPA Social Justice Council and permitting players to wear the names of the victims killed by police this year, Carson is thrilled to be part of the league during this challenging time.

 

She believes the players’ voices are being heard and more importantly, being valued. 

 

There’s strength in numbers and the WNBA, which is 80 percent Black, is unified in their passion to inspire change and conquer systemic racism, police brutality, and additional injustices.   

 

“Being able to feel like that you have support in something that you believe in and in a cause you believe in is very important,” Carson said. “To feel confident that we wouldn’t be penalized for speaking up was key.

 

“In the past, that’s what would have happened. You wanted to wear t-shirts, but if you did, you would be fined. Or if you were reluctant – I wasn’t – to say certain things because you were afraid of the penalties.”

 

The WNBA season will include a devoted platform led by the players that will aim to support and strengthen both the league and teams’ reach and impact on social justice matters.

 

 As recently announced, this began with the WNBA making donations from sales of its “Bigger Than Ball” women’s empowerment merchandise to the Equal Justice Initiative.

 

“Yes, I did my protests,” Carson said. “This wasn’t my first round of protests. Nothing new for me.

 

 “What’s important for me is being able to get my message across and convey it in a way that I like to, it doesn’t always require me to be there front and center, although I have taken that route as well. I just want to be a little innovative within this bubble with using my voice.”

 

With a soul full of life, Carson is special, selfless, and artistic. 

 

The Paterson, New Jersey, native has always combined basketball excellence with the musical magic she creates to encourage and motivate others.

 

“I felt that I can use my platform, not only do I use my basketball platform, but I use my music platform too,” Carson said. “You can be creative and you have to be. 

 

“As a Black community, I feel like that’s what we do best. We’ve been given so little throughout our existence that we always find ways to make things happen and something out of nothing. It’s a talent. We’ve been blessed with that ability so that doesn’t stop there.” 

 

While helping the Mystics win another championship is important, making the world a better place is her purpose. 

 

“I don’t want anyone to believe or feel that, because they don’t fight the fight in a way their neighbor may fight the fight, that their role isn’t important,” Carson said. “Fight the fight the way you choose to fight. 

 

“Just, fight the fight.”

 

NOTES: Carson’s voice and experience should help the Mystics this season, who will be without Natasha Cloud and Latoya Sanders and most likely Tina Charles and Elena Delle Donne … At 33 years old Carson is the oldest member of the Mystics … She started 13 games for the Mercury in. Phoenix last season and averaged 5.8 points per game … She was also a member of the Los Angeles Sparks championship squad … Known as a defensive stalwart, Carson is also a capable scorer as evidenced by averaging double figures in four of her eight years with the New York Liberty.