Womhoops Guru

Mel Greenberg covered college and professional women’s basketball for the Philadelphia Inquirer, where he worked for 40 plus years. Greenberg pioneered national coverage of the game, including the original Top 25 women's college poll. His knowledge has earned him nicknames such as "The Guru" and "The Godfather," as well as induction into the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame in 2007.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Former Rutgers Star Earns Staley's Praise

By Mel Greenberg

AMTRAK BUSINESS CLASS _ Don't ask me how I landed here, but that's what the train ticket said, and so I sit as we arrive in New Haven, Conn., on the way back to Philadelphia from the Mohegan Sun Arena and our return departure in NewLondon.

So what does any of this have to do with the headline involving Cappie Pondexter of the new WNBA champion Phoenix Mercury?

Absolutely nothing.

But since a lot of Scarlet Knights fandom visit us here, I needed a device to get you over to where the real story will appear at women's hoops guru, our upgraded site under the philly.com umbrella.

However, if it is not yet 3 a.m. on Sept.20 in the East, stop by some other sites to give me enough time to endure the jaw-shattering rhythms of Amtrak whileI take advantage with my air card hooked to the laptop that will enable me to actually write and post.

For those who have been following a background storyline the last three weeks, the Guru's family situation continues, but I was able to make a quick up and back trip to the USA-Australia game in Uncasville as a sub for Erin,who was going to sub for me until necessary schoolwork took her out of the loop on Wednesday night.

--- Mel